Are you ready to take your camping adventures to the next level in 2023? Whether you’re an avid outdoorsman or a casual camper, having the right knife is essential.
A good camping knife can make all the difference when it comes to making meals, cutting wood and tackling other tasks. But with so many different types of knives available, how do you know which one is best for you?
In this article, we’ll discuss the features of a good camping knife, the different types of blades, and provide some top picks for the best camping knives of 2023.
With our help, you’ll be sure to find a knife that fits your needs and helps make your outdoor experiences even more enjoyable.
The Top Camping Knives for 2023
When it comes to choosing the right camping knife for your next outing, you have a lot of high-quality choices at a variety of different price ranges to choose from, so you’re sure to find something that fits your needs and budget.
Below, we’ll take a look at the highest-rated knives we’ve found and tested. No matter your needs, you can’t go wrong when choosing between the following options.
Gerber Strongarm Fixed Blade Knife
If you’re looking for a reliable and versatile knife that won’t break the bank, Gerber’s Strongarm Fixed Blade Knife is an excellent choice. This American-made knife features a full tang, 420HC steel blade with a rubberized diamond-texture grip for comfortable handling. It also comes with a nylon webbing drop-leg carry system and an innovative MOLLE-compatible multi-mount sheath system. The sheath is ambidextrous and has faux molle appearance to give it a tactical look.
Plus, this knife is razor sharp right out of the box!
The Strongarm Fixed Blade Knife is strong and durable, making it ideal for various tasks while camping such as cutting rope, preparing firewood, or skinning game. It also offers great value at its fair price point.
However, some users find the grip uncomfortable and one review mentioned an issue with the buckle on the sheath being broken upon delivery. Additionally, instructions for mounting the sheath could be clearer as some find it clunky to use.
- Full tang, 420HC steel blade
- Rubberized diamond-texture grip
- Nylon webbing for drop leg carry and secondary retention
- MOLLE compatible multi mount sheath system
- Reliable and versatile knife for various tasks
- Comfortable grip
- Innovative and adaptable sheath system
- Razor sharp out of the box
- Strong and durable
- Sheath carrying apparatus can be clunky
- Instructions for mounting sheath could be clearer
- Some find the grip uncomfortable
- One review mentioned a broken buckle on the sheath
- Consider the price which may be too high for some budgets
Morakniv Garberg Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife
This Morakniv Garberg Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife is the perfect woodsman companion. It boasts a hefty and full-tang carbon steel blade with an integrated firestarter survival tool and diamond sharpener.
It comes with a sheath-compatible fire starter kit that includes an emergency reflective paracord and a 0.13 inch thick carbon steel blade with a Scandi grind edge profile. The 90° angle knife blade is compatible with the included fire starter while the handle material is made of durable carbon steel. This multipurpose design is high quality and well-suited to fit all your outdoor needs.
The Morakniv Garberg Full Tang Fixed Blade Knife has all the features you need for basic knife duties and moderate batoning, making it ideal for bushcrafting activities. It can also be used for tactical purposes thanks to its solid Scandi grind, which comes sharp out of the box and holds edge well.
Although it lacks a sharpening choil, its easily scratched coating should not detract from your overall experience due to its small to moderate bolster on grip that provides an ergonomic feel when held in hand.
- Handle material: carbon steel
- Blade material: carbon steel
- Blade shape: trailing point
- Blade edge: V-grind
- Item length: 9 inches
- Item weight: 247 grams
- Great for basic knife duties and moderate batoning
- Hefty and full tang blade for increased confidence
- Carbon steel is easy to keep super sharp
- Comes sharp out of the box
- Lack of sharpening choil
- Easily scratched coating
- Small to moderate bolster on grip
ESEE Knives 6P Fixed Blade Knife
The ESEE Knives 6P Fixed Blade Knife is a high-quality outdoor tool, boasting a durable 1095 carbon steel blade and Grey Micarta handle. It has an overall length of 11.75 inches, with a 6.50 inch blade that holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen. The knife comes with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked, so you can be sure it will last for years of use in the outdoors. It also comes with a black molded polymer sheath for secure storage and transport when not in use.
This multipurpose tool is suitable for construction projects or general camping activities such as cutting rope or slicing vegetables; its bright colors make it easy to spot in nature should it become lost or misplaced.
Customers have reported positive experiences when using this knife, noting its durability and versatility, as well as its warranty replacement policy which makes it a great value purchase. However, some customers have made modifications to the knife such as filing the spine to create a sharp 90 degree angle, while others prefer the leather dangler sheath instead of the included polymer one for added comfort and convenience when carrying their knife.
- Overall Length: 11.75′
- Blade Length: 6.50′
- Blade Material: 1095 Carbon Steel
- Handle Material: Grey Micarta
- Sheath: Black Molded Polymer
- Durable 1095 carbon steel blade holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen
- Suitable for construction projects or general camping activities
- Bright colors make it easy to spot in nature
- Lifetime warranty policy provides excellent value
- Some customers may require modifications such as filing spine for sharper angle
- Not all customers are satisfied with included polymer sheath
Benchmade Bugout 535BK-2 Folding Knife
With its lightweight and durable design, the Benchmade Bugout 535BK-2 folding knife is the perfect choice for an everyday carry companion. This EDC manual open folding knife has a drop-point blade that’s made from American-made CPM-S30V steel for edge retention and corrosion resistance.
The handle is constructed from glass-filled nylon Grivory material and features an ergonomic textured grip that provides a secure hold. An AXIS locking mechanism ensures safety and smooth open and close, while a reversible clip and lanyard hole offer versatile carrying options.
The Benchmade Bugout 535BK-2 comes in a sleek blacked out finish from tip to tail, making it both stylish and functional. The lightweight design makes it ideal for activities such as hiking, camping, backpacking or just everyday carry. Although some users may prefer a more substantial or meatier knife for heavy duty tasks, this knife offers reliability with its high quality American made steel construction.
Customers appreciate the value of buying American made products combined with the craftsmanship of Benchmade’s attention to detail.
- Blade shape: Drop point
- Blade edge: Flat
- Department: Unisex-adult
- Manufacturer: Benchmade
- Model name: BKC535BK-2
- Item weight: 0.01 ounces
- Lightweight and durable design with CF Elite handle technology
- Made with high quality American made steel for reliable edge retention and corrosion resistance
- Fully ambidextrous design with ergonomic handle
- AXIS locking mechanism ensures safety
- Reversible clip and lanyard hole provide versatile carry options
- May be too lightweight for some users who prefer a more noticeable presence in their pocket
Kershaw Shuffle II Folding Pocket Knife
Are you looking for a reliable, multifunctional pocket knife that won’t break the bank? Look no further than the Kershaw Shuffle II Folding Pocket Knife!
This trusted brand offers a product made with 8Cr13MoV stainless steel and glass reinforced nylon handle, making it suitable for various tough materials. The blade is designed in a tanto point shape and features ambidextrous thumbstuds for manual opening as well as a reversible pocket clip for tip-down left or right-handed carry. Plus, it comes with an array of useful features such as a flathead screwdriver tip, bottle opener, lanyard hole and more.
Perfect for everyday carry but also suitable for hunting, fishing, camping, and utility tasks – this pocket knife promises to be your trusty companion in all outdoor activities.
The Kershaw Shuffle II Folding Pocket Knife has many advantages that make it stand out from other products on the market. Its lightweight design and reliable sharpness makes it easy to use while its affordability is welcomed by everyone who wants to get great value without sacrificing quality.
- Brand: Kershaw
- Model: Shuffle II Folding Pocket Knife
- Handle Material: Glass Reinforced Nylon
- Blade Material: 8Cr13MoV stainless steel
- Blade Shape: Tanto Point
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Blade Length: 2.6 inches
- Item Length: 6 inches
- Item Weight: 9 grams
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Multifunctional knife with flathead screwdriver tip, bottle opener and lanyard hole
- Ambidextrous thumbstuds for manual opening with no mechanical assistance
- Reversible pocket clip for tip down left or right handed carry
- Reliable and sharp blade designed for various tough materials
- Suitable for everyday carry, hunting, fishing, camping and utility tasks
- Some customers found the finger grooves to be placed uncomfortably close to the blade
- Blade is not the easiest to open with one hand compared to other Kershaw models
- Price may be considered a little high for what is offered
Morakniv Craftline Basic 511 Fixed Blade Knife
You’ll appreciate the reliable performance of the Morakniv Craftline Basic 511 Fixed Blade Knife, crafted with a high carbon steel blade and TPE rubber handle for comfort and safety. This knife is perfect for outdoor activities like camping, hunting, fishing, or even everyday tasks around the house.
The drop point blade shape is versatile and great for precision cuts while the plain edge allows for easy sharpening. The impact-resistant TPE rubber handle gives you a secure grip with added finger guard for extra protection when in use. Plus, it comes with a hard plastic Combi-Sheath that has quick-connect feature to attach another knife or sheath if needed.
This Swedish made product also comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty covering any defects in materials or workmanship.
However, please note that carbon steel knives can stain and rust if not handled properly; you may want to apply forced patina to prevent this from happening. Also remember that the knife may come with a rough spine which needs to be sanded down before ferro rod scraping and a rope edge that will need to be removed through use to reveal its true edge.
- Brand: Morakniv
- Model Name: FT01502
- Blade Material: High carbon steel
- Handle Material: TPE rubber
- Blade Shape: Drop point
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Blade Thickness: 0.08 inches
- Blade Length: 3.6 inches
- Total Length: 8.25 inches
- Item Weight: 3.9 ounces
- Durable high carbon steel blade
- Impact-resistant TPE rubber handle for comfortable grip
- Finger guard for additional safety
- Hard plastic Combi-Sheath with quick-connect feature
- Comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Carbon steel knives can stain and rust if not handled properly
- May come with a rough spine that needs sanding down
- True edge may vary in quality
Ontario Knife Company 8848 Rat I Folding Knife
The Ontario Knife Company 8848 Rat I Folding Knife is perfect for your hunting needs. It gives you a reliable stainless steel blade with a black nylon 6 handle that’s lightweight and easy to carry.
This knife features an open post construction for easy cleaning, dual bronze and teflon washers for smooth opening, hardened steel liner on the locking side for less blade wobble, full flat grind for great slicing ability, reversible pocket clip for left or right-handed carry, all-screwed construction for easy disassembly and modification, flow-through design for easy cleaning and an affordable price tag. It also has several special features such as water resistance and a manufacturer warranty.
It even comes sharp out of the box so you don’t have to worry about having to sharpen it yourself. Additionally, the knife is light enough to be easily handled while still being strong enough to take on tough tasks. Furthermore, it can be disassembled and cleaned with ease due to its all-screwed construction. Finally, it has four positions pocket clip which allows you to carry it in whichever direction you prefer – making it ideal as an EDC (everyday carry) knife.
- Brand: Ontario Knife Company
- Model Name: ON8848
- Blade Material: Stainless Steel (AUS-8)
- Blade Length: 3.5 inches
- Blade Shape: Drop Point
- Blade Edge: Plain
- Handle Material: Black Nylon 6
- Knife Closed Length: 4.5 inches
- Knife Open Length: 8.5 inches
- Weight: 4.9 ounces
– Great value for the price/performance ratio
– Fit & finish is excellent within its price range
– Comes sharp out of the box
– Lightweight & easy to handle
– Easy to disassemble & clean
– Can be carried in four directions
– Nylon handle can be slippery
– Jimping on thumb ramp could be better
– Steel liners could have been drilled out reduce weight
– Heavier than some other knives in same price range
Benchmade Mini Barrage 585 Knife
Experience swift one-handed opening and reliable ambidextrous operation with the Benchmade Mini Barrage 585 Knife. It features a durable 154CM stainless steel blade and Valox handle for easy everyday use. The AXIS Assist feature allows for quick deployment of the 2.91 inch plain edge drop point utility blade, while the AXIS locking mechanism holds it firmly in place with minimal wiggle. Designed to be lightweight yet strong, this knife weighs only 3.40 ounces and is 6.91 inches when open, 4 inches when closed.
With a reversible pocket clip for ultimate accessibility and a lanyard hole for added convenience, you can take this knife wherever your adventures may lead you — from outdoor excursions to everyday carry tasks.
The Benchmade Mini Barrage 585 Knife has become popular amongst customers who rate it as one of their best knives even compared to more expensive models from other brands.
- Features AXIS Assist for quick, one-handed opening
- Fully ambidextrous operation
- Drop point utility blade style for all around functionality
- Durable and rust resistant 154CM stainless steel blade
- Valox handle is strong and stable ideal for everyday use
- AXIS locking mechanism holds blade firmly in place with minimal wiggle
- Reversible pocket clip offers ultimate accessibility
- Assisted opening feature is reliable and swift
- Some customers received a partially serrated blade despite the product description indicating otherwise; this could be useful for cutting packing straps or other materials but not everyone likes serrations on their blades.
- Handle material may not be comfortable for all users, and some have found it to be wider than expected but without being excessively thick.
- Blade Material: 154CM stainless steel
- Blade Length: 2.91 inches
- Blade Edge: Plain Edge
- Blade Shape: Drop Point
- Handle Material: Valox
- Handle Color: Black
- Handle Thickness: 0.57 inches
- Weight: 3.40 ounces
- Open Length: 6.91 inches
- Closed Length: 4 inches
- Special Feature: Reversible pocket clip
- Recommended Uses: Outdoor, everyday carry
- Manufacturer/Model Number: Benchmade/585
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Camping Knife
When considering the perfect camping knife, there are several factors to take into account.
Size, weight, type (folding vs fixed), blade length and materials, serrations, and price are all important considerations.
Different blade types have unique features that make them better suited for specific tasks. Heavier knives may be more durable but can be harder to carry around.
Lastly, it’s important to consider your budget. There are many great options available at various price points that will meet your needs without breaking the bank.
Finding the right size knife for your next camping trip can be tricky, but it’s like finding the perfect fit of a glove: once you have it, you won’t want to take it off.
Size is an important factor when choosing the best camping knife because you want something that fits comfortably in your hand and allows you to perform all necessary tasks while out on the trail.
You don’t want a blade that is too long or bulky as this could make carrying it difficult and hinder its practicality in certain situations.
A blade length of between 5-7 inches is ideal for most general camping purposes such as cutting rope, food preparation, whittling and general utility tasks.
Smaller blades are easier to carry around and less likely to get in the way when not needed, but they may lack durability if used for tougher tasks like batoning wood or prying objects.
The handle should also play a role in deciding which size knife will work best for your needs; look for one with an ergonomic design that offers good grip without being too bulky.
It should fit comfortably in your hand without slipping or causing fatigue during extended use.
If possible, try before buying by visiting an outdoor store with a selection of knives available so you can compare different sizes and find one that feels comfortable.
Ultimately, finding the right size knife comes down to personal preference – just remember that comfort and practicality are key when deciding which size will work best for you!
The weight of your knife should be considered too, as having the right balance between comfort and practicality is key for any successful camping trip. A heavy knife might be troublesome to carry around in your pocket or backpack, while a light one could lack the strength to handle tougher tasks.
Here are some aspects you should consider when evaluating the weight of your camping knife:
- Size: The bigger the blade, the heavier it will likely be. Consider how much space you have in your bag and how often you plan on carrying it with you.
- Material: Different materials like steel or aluminum can affect the weight significantly. Steel tends to be heavier but more durable, while aluminum is lighter and less resistant to wear and tear.
- Pocket Clip: If the knife has a pocket clip attached, then this will add extra weight too. This may not be suitable if you prefer lightweight knives that don’t require clips for quick access.
Ultimately, choose a knife that feels comfortable in hand when performing tasks like chopping wood or slicing food without feeling too heavy or cumbersome over time. When evaluating different models, make sure to examine their overall design, including materials used, before making your decision on which one is best suited for your needs.
Type (Folding vs Fixed)
Choosing between a folding and fixed blade can be like deciding between two sides of a coin: one offering convenience, the other providing strength.
Folding knives are great for portability as they can fit in your pocket or on your belt, making them ideal for everyday carry. They also come with locking mechanisms to ensure safe use.
Fixed blades are generally more robust and durable than folding blades, and they don’t require extra attention when opening and closing. When it comes to camping knives though, you should always opt for fixed blade due to its superior strength and durability.
Fixed blades provide more control while cutting through tougher materials since there is no joint that weakens the knife’s structure while using it. Also, they come with a full tang which allows more leverage when tackling tough tasks such as splitting wood or prying open things like cans and rocks.
With their heftier design, fixed blades may lack portability but make up for it in strength and stability for any outdoor adventure.
When considering your camping cutlery, blade length is a key consideration; whether you’re looking for something to slice and dice or need more leverage to pry open tough items, finding the perfect size knife is essential.
Generally speaking, blades between 5-7 inches are ideal for most tasks around the campsite – anything longer can be unwieldy and difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. For those who want maximum versatility, multi-tools with folding blades are great options as they offer multiple tools in one package. However, if you require a dedicated blade for tougher tasks like cutting branches or whittling wood, then a fixed-blade knife will provide the strength and stability needed.
Whatever type of knife you choose, make sure it has an effective sheath that will keep it within arms reach while on the move.
Moving on from blade length is also important when selecting the best camping knife – next up we’ll discuss materials used to construct the handle and blade itself.
Blade & Handle Materials
You need a reliable blade and handle to take on the toughest tasks around your campsite, so choose materials that will stand up to the rigors of outdoor life. When selecting a camping knife, here are some important considerations:
- Blade material should be strong enough to cope with hard use and rust-resistant; high carbon steel is typically recommended for camping knives as it holds an edge well and can be easily re-sharpened when needed.
- Handle material should be durable and comfortable to hold, such as Micarta or rubber; these materials provide grip in wet conditions and won’t slip out of your hand when using the knife for strenuous tasks.
- Sheath material must also be robust enough to protect the knife from wear and tear while still allowing quick access when needed; Kydex/hard plastic or leather sheaths are ideal choices for camping knives.
Choosing the right combination of blade and handle materials is essential for ensuring you have a reliable companion throughout your outdoor adventures!
Next up, let’s explore how serrations can help make tough cutting tasks easier..
Serrations can make tough cutting tasks a breeze, so it’s worth considering whether you need them on your outdoor companion. If you plan to use your camping knife for activities like sawing through rope or hacking branches, then serrations will come in handy.
The presence of serrations also means that the blade is less likely to slip when slicing materials like fabric or food. However, if you don’t plan to perform heavy-duty tasks with your camping knife, then serrated blades may not be necessary and could even reduce the convenience of certain tasks due to their jagged edges.
Whatever type of blade you choose, it’s important that you select one made from high-quality materials and crafted with care. With a good quality camping knife at your side, you’ll be ready for any adventure!
Moving on from blades and handle material considerations, let’s look at price points associated with different types of camping knives.
Now that you’ve learned about the different blade types and features of a good camping knife, let’s talk about price.
Price is always an important factor in choosing the best camping knife for you. After all, there’s no point investing in a top-of-the-line model if it will break your budget.
With that said, it’s important to remember that you get what you pay for. Cheaper knives are usually made from lower quality materials and won’t have as sharp of an edge or be as durable as more expensive models.
On the other hand, high-end blades can cost hundreds of dollars but will last for years with proper care and maintenance. The key is finding a balance between price and quality – so do your research before making any decisions!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the legal status of carrying a locking blade while camping?
When it comes to camping, it’s important to know the legal status of carrying a locking blade.
Generally speaking, it’s illegal to carry any type of locking blade in public places in the UK.
However, when out on a camping trip, you may be allowed to carry certain knives depending on where you are and where you plan on going.
Be sure to check local laws before packing your blade and always take care when handling knives!
How do I ensure a camping knife will last me a long time?
To make sure your camping knife will last you a long time, quality is key. Look for a knife made from high-carbon steel or stainless steel, with a full tang handle; this will ensure it can withstand tough tasks like cutting branches and whittling.
Also, pay attention to the sheath. Opt for one that’s made of Kydex, hard plastic, or leather to keep your knife secure and safe when not in use.
Finally, don’t forget to maintain your camping knife properly by sharpening it regularly and cleaning off dirt and debris after each use. With proper care, you can expect your camping knife to last you forever!
Are there any reliable brands for multi-tools?
When it comes to multi-tools, you can trust two brands in particular: Victorinox and Leatherman. Both of these brands have been providing reliable tools for decades, so you can be sure to get quality when you invest in one of their products.
Whether you’re looking for a versatile tool that can handle whatever the outdoors throws your way, or just want a dependable tool that’ll last through all your adventures, Victorinox and Leatherman have got you covered.
So don’t settle for second-best – invest in one of these trusted names and make sure your next outdoor trip is ready for anything!
What are the rules about allowed knives for camping in the UK?
When it comes to camping in the UK, it’s important to be aware of the rules and regulations around what types of knives you can bring with you.
Generally speaking, locking blades are illegal in public, so if you’re looking for a camping knife make sure it doesn’t lock.
Multi-tools are great for versatility and handy tools for campsite repairs but be sure to choose one from a reliable brand like Victorinox or Leatherman.
Fixed blade knives are great for tougher tasks such as cutting branches or whittling wood, while folding/locking knives are more suited to general use around the camp site.
Whatever type of knife you decide on, make sure it is comfortable and reliable enough to handle any task that may arise during your adventures!
What is the difference between a full tang and partial tang knife?
When you’re out camping, having a knife that is comfortable and reliable is essential. But with so many different types of knives available, it can be difficult to know which one to choose.
To make sure you get the best knife for your needs, consider the difference between a full tang and partial tang knife. A full tang knife has the metal of the blade running all the way through its handle, making it much stronger than a partial tang knife. This makes them better suited for tougher tasks like cutting branches or whittling wood.
On the other hand, partial tang knives are lighter than full-tang knives and are better suited for precision tasks such as skinning animals or preparing food.
No matter which type of camping knife you choose, always keep in mind that quality should be your first priority when selecting any kind of outdoor tool!
When it comes to camping knives, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Every camper has unique needs and preferences when it comes to choosing the right knife.
By considering the factors discussed in this article, such as blade type, handle materials, and size, you can find a knife that will serve your specific purpose while out on the trails.
With our top picks for the best camping knives of 2023 and some helpful tips and resources, you can find a knife that will be an essential tool in all of your outdoor adventures. So don’t let yourself get lost in the wilderness without one!